Saturday, July 19, 2014

Well, there had to be ONE day of crappy travel and yesterday was it!

I left Memphis and was on my way to Hendersonville, NC to visit with Susan Murphy, Jeanne Ruddy's mom!

However, it was raining.  And it kept raining. And raining.  White flat clouds that met the horizon and the white thick spray from the cars made me feel like and look like I was skiing in a whiteout.  Just awful!

Then around Knoxville my oil light came on and, this being a rental, called Hertz and they said to bring it in for another car.  :((( Finally finding the airport got a Prius (I guess that's the upside) and unloaded everything into the other car and finally got back on the road after a 2 hour delay.  Once into NC, the time changed and lost one hour.  Jeeeeeeezzzzz.

When I got to Ashville I called Susan and discussed the best route to her house.  She was annoyed (!) that it was raining and her view was gone into a cloud.

When I drove up to her house she was standing in front with her pink umbrella.  Eureka!  Hugs, hugs, and kisses.

She had prepared salmon, rice, her own fresh green beans from her garden and the red wine was already popped.

We sat down after Q had dinner and toasted to long life, long friendship, long love!


Naturally had to do a selfie with me all straggled from the harrowing day's drive...

Quincey was a good boy and Susan had a special treat for him: PUPPERONI!!!



She has a spectacular back garden area nestled in the Smokey Mountains.  YUM


Bill, her husband passed away not too long ago.  He was an avid gardner and artist.  Checkout ONE of his pieces:

On the way out of Hendersonville, Susan escorted me down the mountain to her Main Street.  A picture perfect Americana.  Wide side walks that snaked and curved through downtown, potted and landscaped, antique stores, deli, coffee... A great idea as a fund raiser with bears painted by artists littered the sidewalk and they were amusing and creative.  Susan, that snazzy gal, was very proud of her Canary yellow Lexus hybrid.  Go gurl!

What a special and beautiful woman to know and be in my life.  What lucky girls, Jeanne, Robin and Michelle are to have Ms. Susan as MAMA!


1 comment:

  1. What an INCREDIBLE trip you have had so far! And what truly amazing experiences with long-lost family and friends. I was especially touched by your stories about your family in OK and TX bringing out all of those old photos and clippings and family records (and that apple butter!)

    I also LOVED Jeanne's Dad's artwork (Brilliant!!!), and the photos of her Mom hosting you. Too COOL!

    And you are pretty much right on schedule, and I am So PROUD of you for that! So I'm getting more and more excited to meeting up with you at Diana's. Guess it's time I connect with her and we start to make some serious plans for your trip home!

    Keep up the great reports! Drive safe and be sure to get a lot of rest, Bebe! Lots of LOVE to YOU!

    ReplyDelete