Q and I headed for our detour to Ohio. While visiting with Susan Hartshorn Saxe in Houston, she gave me information regarding this location as being one where all our 'clan' began, or at least to that generation.
So, once we got out of NYC via Lincoln Tunnel, around the helix, merging into a forever stream of traffic, we headed towards Newark Airport which put us on US78 W. Getting there was as if I'd never left. I know exactly where to drive and where NOT to drive.
So, once through that maze we squirreled ourselves past Wheeling, WV and into Monroe County, Ohio.
Woodsfield is the closest 'big' town to Hartshorn Ridge which is about a 20 minute, I think, drive.
The Hartshorn Cemetery is there as well as the Hartshorn Church of Christ, which is our destination. I'm following my phone GPS and hope it takes us there! It's a 2 hour drive from Pittsburgh going SW, so this is a detour to Chicago, but since it's so close, of course I have to see it! The plan is to be here for 45 minutes or so, lay some flowers, take pictures, feel the energy and press on.
Luckily there's no rain to deal with so all signs are clear and no nasty truck spray!
We went through some lovely rural countryside on our way to HARTSHORN RIDGE.
I made a left when I should've made a right... a truck was passing so I stopped them, asking if this was Hartshorn Ridge? They said, "yes". I asked is the Hartshorn Cemetery close? They said, "Oh yes, just continue up the road and you'll see it right next to the church". :))
So, pressing on and there it stood.
WOW
My, oh, my.
So, Q and I got out and roamed around the cemetery. Someone in my travels asked if I was going to stop by the courthouse and get an area map so I could find the graves. Well, it did cross my mind and I was hoping I could just find the right ones. Well, presto! My great grandfather and grandmother, Cephas and Matilda Hartshorn were right there.
As well as Samuel and Nan, my great uncle and aunt.
The cemetery was loaded with Hartshorns but these two were the direct link to my DNA. We did stroll around and make notice of everyone, stopping and wondering. There were quite a few children, from ages 1 day to 1 years. Some military headstones, one with James Hartshorn.
So, we found it, we saw it, we felt alive and connected. Breathing a bit better and just feeling fine.
As we were leaving I saw an address that had Hartshorn Ridge and stopped to take a photo. There were 2 people there and I jogged up to them and mentioned I wasn't a stalker, but a Hartshorn, was looking for my past relatives and finally found them in the cemetery up the road... would they mind if I took a picture. She asked my name and I told her. She said well... you should talk to Lorne, he's Ray Des Moines grandson. I said, swell, where can I find him? She said, 'RIGHT THERE'. I turned around and he was climbing off his tractor and coming towards me. I re-explained and he said, well, if you REALLY want to know you should contact Eva Jean. Ok.... :/ He furthered saying she just lives in the brick house up the road you can't miss it.
So, he jumped in his jeep and escorted me to her house, knocking on her door and introducing me and my intention. WHAT!?
Meet (I guess some type of cousin) Lorne Hartshorn:
Eva Jean was married to Hiram Eugene Hartshorn and is now the keeper of all family knowledge. She's 86 and has a memory like a vice! She was pulling out photos and naming each person while looking at them upside down. Her eyes grew like saucers when she found my dad was Hiram, Jr. My dad's, Hiram was her hubby's namesake. I understand that back then, they just kept renaming children the same over and over which makes it challenging to find the real deal. There are a ton of James, Samuels, Hirams, etc.
The book that Susan gave me on our family's history has many archived photos and documentations donated by Eva Jean.
Her photo's on page 600 with her husband, Hiram.
She brought out maps and documents of land deeds dating in the 1800's and graciously gave me copies.
I brought out photos of my dad and grand-dad and her eyes got that saucer look again. :)) She slowly got out of her chair saying she had some photos she wanted to show me, she knew right where they were, she wanted to get them right now, etc.
Two early photos of my grandfather, his two brothers and one of the cousins all dressed up for a trip to Stubbenville, OH. She thinks it was for either a job or to be a bit wild. I don't know which, but either sound good to me. Dapper Dans and posing like gangstas!
She shared that my great grandfather had been married 3 times. 1st wife had 2 kids, 2nd had 7, 3 had 0. He wanted to be buried next to his 2nd wife. No one knows why. :)
We spent 3 1/2 hours talking and talking. She told me all about her drain pipes that were clogged up and just yesterday, her prayers were answered. Someone who really knew how to fix it came and unclogged it, so now her washing machine will work. She told me the only place she's been is to Hawaii and how she got to fly over Chicago getting there. She told me she has 8 kids but one died, grand kids and great grandkids with the youngest being 10. She told me she loves Hartshorn Ridge, the quiet, the air and will not go to a nursing home. She told me she has 2 cars: 1984 and 1996 Oldsmobile. I asked for her address and she told me she'd love to hear from me and so very happy to meet another one of us. She told me she's very happy that I found my roots.
She plans to lie next to Hiram Eugene.
As I was leaving she said it looked like I could fly to Chicago. I said, no... I'm driving. Then she said, no your car looks like it could fly there. (Prius)
A few last shots of Hartshorn Ridge, Ohio. What a
FABULOUSLY LOVELY AND SURPRISING DAY!!
If I could paint, this would be it. xxoo
Now, to continue to Chicago... about 6 hours behind schedule. But, all well worth it!




Hi my name is Maggie Hartshorn and Eva Jean is my grandmother. I wanted to thank you for this wonderful article. I also wanted to let you know that my grandma passed away suddenly in early April. This is a great way for us to remember and honor her! She truly enjoyed your visit and loved her studies of the family. So from the hartshorn family thanks again for this article!
ReplyDeleteOh, Maggie! How wonderful for you to reach out and leave such wonderfully appreciative comments. Truly, meeting, Eva Jean, WAS the highlight of my trip. I never knew my dad, Hiram Hartshorn, Jr, due to WWII PTSD and all ensuring pressures of young privilege. However, an ever present hunger dogged my life to know... something, anything. So, at 62, I piled into my car with my dog and took off on this 'discovery trip'. Not knowing what I was going to find, but ready to seriously look! Finding her was absolute divine intervention. And, the angels were singing loud an clear and her spiritual embrace was so complete and warm that trust was immediate. How odd, I thought, for her to be there, Hartshorn Ridge, WV and this complete STRANGER, me, is introduced by Lorne, who I just met, and was welcomed into her home to waddle through scrapbooks laden with paper clippings and sepia toned photos. WOW! Other worldly for me and I'm still 'high' on the experience. I did hear from Derrick Hartshorn expressing she had passed. I wasn't sure what to do, who to write, what to send. I only had her address. I would love to stay in touch with you! Where do you live? I'm in Palm Springs, CA. When I was performing, I did a show called A Chorus Line and my character's name was Maggie. :)) Thank you for reaching out. It means so, so much. Sending love to you and sympathy for the passing of your Grandma. I know my Grandma was the light of my life... I held her hand as she passed. Another life absorbing moment. xx
DeleteI grew up on Hartshorn Ridge as well. We live right next to my grandma in a pink house. Now, I am preparing to move to Columbus, OH to go to college this fall at The Ohio State University. If you want, you can contact me by email at hartshornmaggie@gmail.com and I would be glad to share more with you!
Delete